SMHA Parents, Players and Prospectives -
I’m sure that those that were able to participate in the Greater Shanghai Open Hockey sessions we conducted with our Feiyang partners last weekend would agree that they provided a glimpse of both the possibilities at hand, as well as some of the challenges that will need to be overcome as we work together to implement a grander vision of minor hockey in Shanghai.
Overall the weekend was a success by many measures, but especially in the most important measure - smiles. Smiles as old friendships were rekindled following a long summer break, smiles as summer hockey camp experiences and equipment purchases were excitedly shared, smiles as we welcomed new players and families to our hockey fraternity, and smiles as former rivals lined up on the same side of the red line for the first time!
At this point we would like to provide some additional information –
SMHA’s league structure will consist of –
· A House League that is focused primarily on recreation and development of core hockey skills. House League participation is mandatory for all players
· Select teams for players looking for, and qualified for, a more advanced development experience with relatively more emphasis on competition. Participation in Select is voluntary with player eligibility determined by coaching staff evaluation in try-out sessions. If chosen, player participation on a Select team requires a significantly greater commitment of time and money driven by incremental on and off-ice training and Pan-Asian travel
FALL SESSION SCHEDULE 秋季课程
Below is a tentative schedule for the fall session, key points as follows –
· The tentative schedule is based on player registration targets. The targets have been developed to enable House League age groups in line with IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) standards. If player registration targets are not ultimately achieved, the intended House League age groups may require revision, which would potentially drive schedule changes
· Similarly, Feiyang continues to work to balance the requests of multiple tenants which may also drive schedule revisions
· While the tentative schedule may be subject to revision, it does demonstrate intent for House League practices and games to be conducted on weekends, with incremental Select training conducted mid-week
· In terms of specific times, the weekend sessions will be conducted in the morning with mid-week select ice scheduled between 6pm and 9pm with appropriate consideration given to the player age
· Specific times/dates by House League group and Select team will be provided as they are able to be confirmed
This coming weekend, August 24 & 25, SMHA kicks-off with our Open Skates open to all SMHA paid registrants as well as prospective members still in the process of finalizing their fall plans.
Standalone fees specific to these Open Skates are not applicable as the cost of the Open Skates are recovered through the fall session registration fees. Without exception, and with effect from August 26, participation in SMHA events requires completion of a player application and payment of the RMB 2,500 registration deposit.
For these sessions attendance at the specific day/time in accordance with player age will be strictly enforced as follows –根据球员年龄在指定日期/时间参加训练的课程须严格执行如下：
Saturday August 24 – Feiyang Arena (2nd floor), Sanlin
8:15am – 9:30am 2001 – 2002 Birth Years
12:30pm – 1:45pm 2005 – 2006
8月24日，星期六， 飞扬冰上运动中心 (二楼)，三林
下午 12:30——1:45 2005-2006 年出生的球员
Sunday August 25 – Feiyang Arena (2nd floor), Sanlon
8:30am – 9:45am 2003 – 2004 Birth Years
10:00am – 11:15am 2000 & Prior
8月25日，星期日， 飞扬冰上运动中心 (二楼)，三林
上午8:30 ——9:45 2003-2004年出生的球员
上午 10:00——11:15 2000年及以前出生的球员
We appreciate your attention and adherence to these guidelines – practice plans developed by the coaches conducting the sessions are designed with the skills/abilities of the players in mind, based on the indicated age groups.
SMHA COMMUNICATION SESSIONS / SMHA 说明会
We recognize that we have many new players/families participating with us this year – and for returning players/families there are changes from past experience.
As such we are scheduling open communication sessions following this weekend’s on-ice activities. For these sessions members of the SMHA Planning Committee will be on hand to explain the intended league structure, clarify the goals of the association and importantly, answer questions.
We will have two sessions on Saturday, commencing at 9:45am and 2:00pm, and then a single session on Sunday commencing at 11:30am – we’ll gather in an available room adjacent to the Stadium Rink at the indicated times and hope that all will join the discussions.
A FINAL NOTE 最后要注意的
The coming weeks and months will continue to provide great challenges – through these times we will need to stay singly focused on the players to ensure we deliver on our mission of developing life skills through promotion of positive hockey experiences.
We ask for your continued participation, suggestions, and of course – patience.
The SMHA Planning Committee